Saturday, February 2, 2008

I Live in the State of... HUH??

I am a teacher. As a teacher, I think that I am doing a pretty good job at creating bright minds in the future generations of our country. I also have the wonderful privilege of teaching the Talented and Gifted class. I found out that some of my kids aren't so Talented and Gifted!!!

We are working on a couple different things in Reading. One thing we're working on is conducting, and answering questions in, an interview. The second thing we're working on is digging deeper, and understanding the character on a more personal level. So... their assignment was to work with a partner and do an interview of a character in order for them to completely explore the complexity of the characters we were talking about in our recent story. They were to try and put themselves in the place of the character, and really bring out the true feelings, concerns, joys, etc. of the main character. The partner had to play either a different character in their book, or they could interview as their own human self. They also had to write down their interview questions, and then had to let their partner answer them because I wanted to see that the got the gist of the assignment, and I obviously couldn't be in 11 groups at one time. One of my little "TAG" boys was interviewed as himself. The interviewer asked the interviewee "I am from Chinatown in New York City (the character that she was playing). So I can get to know you better, where are you from?" He answered "I live in the state of
Vagina"

Needless to say... this kiddo hasn't gotten the concept of what state he lives in, which should have been something he caught on to in like 1st grade. I'm really hoping that he doesn't have to answer this question again on paper until he can figure out how to spell his state correctly!! I at least got a kick out of it.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Bre! I wandered over to your blog from cfhusband, and I just wanted to let you know that I was here. I'm a teacher too, so I enjoyed the story of your TAG student. If his mom has a good sense of humor, she might enjoy the story too. I like how you change the color of your writing, although the yellow is a little difficult to read. Your daughter is beautiful. Keep writing, and I'll stop by again. God bless!

Grace said...

Love it!